Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Dark Side of Abortion - and the Light of Forgiveness


"I have often said that maybe if there had been one person in that line [abortion clinic protestors] who looked at me with love and compassion and spoke to me of God's love for me and my child things might have ended differently." - Anonymous Friend

Far too often, it is easy for those of us who are concerned about social issues, morality in our nation, and the affects of politics on the fabric of our society to lose sight of the real "scoop" on the issues that are so often used as debate fodder for the talking heads and pundits. Homosexuality and gay marriage become talking points and a source of faction between various political persuasions. Illegal immigration is talked about only in terms of national security, political posturing or in terms of practical "solutions". While all of those views have their place and need to be discussed on those levels, there is one element that, for the Christian, cannot be by-passed. It's the human element. The issue of homosexuality is not just about politics, scientific data or legal terminology. It's about people. People who are, according to the Bible, trapped in a lifestyle of sin and darkness. And as with every sin, there are consequences. Illegal immigrants are law-breakers whose lives are a deception. They are guilty. But they are also people. And if we as Christians are caught up too far in the political rhetoric regarding these people, we can lose sight of this simple truth: illegal immigration is not just about politics, a wall, amnesty, or worker permits. It’s about millions of people.
The same is true when we look at the issue of abortion. Some of us (myself at the top of the heap) believe that abortion is a sin against God, murder of a fellow human being, and a sin for which our nation is most assuredly to be held accountable. And for that reason, we support politicians and policies that are "pro-life". We pray for Justices to be appointed to the Supreme Court who may one day reverse the tragic decision of Roe v. Wade. But sometimes in our zeal for turning the political tide towards the cause of life, we can forget that there is a woman (or young girl) who has chosen or has been forced to kill her unborn baby. There is a human side. And that side is often one of darkness, despair, loneliness, and guilt. And it is a side that we must always remember when we are engaged in the debate on other levels.

JESUS – FRIEND OF SINNERS

Jesus shows us and teaches us the way in which we, as Christians, should respond to those who are living in sin. Jesus was uncompromising when it came to sin. He preached it “straight”. Not only was it sin to commit an act against God’s law; Jesus taught that it was possible to sin in our heart even if we don’t commit the act. He commanded that we love God with our entire being (heart, soul, mind and strength). He commanded that we love others as we love ourselves. I don’t think I have ever met one person yet who can meet the standard of holiness laid out by Jesus. He called a “spade a spade”, a sinner a sinner, and warned of the eternal damnation that was the just due of those who live lives of sin.

Yet, Jesus was known as a friend of sinners. Sinners – notorious, blatant sinners – were comfortable around him. He ate with them, talked with them, reasoned with them, spent time at their houses, and loved them. Loved them? That’s really quite an understatement. He saw their sinful condition, saw their wickedness and evil deeds, saw how they hated him and his standards of holiness – and still he came to give his life for them. There is something quite powerful about unconditional love. The sinners that he pronounced as guilty are the same ones that he showed unending love towards. And it’s no surprise that we find among his followers former prostitutes, former swindlers, former ruffians, former tax collectors, former murderers, and the list goes on.

As for the women and young girls who have made the choice to end the life of their unborn baby, I have a message for you. There is forgiveness – total forgiveness. The stories I have heard about women who have had abortions is a story of darkness, pain and guilt. They are so ashamed of what they did, so guilty, so hurt. And often the church has not made it any easier on them. If this is you, you are not without hope. You do not have to live the rest of your life in the darkness and shadows. You do not have to suffer the endless nightmares. You do not have to search for new ways to cover up or run from the tormenting memories. The same Jesus that tells you of the depth of your sin is the same Jesus who died on a cross to raise you from the pit of that sin. He demonstrated his love for you by dying FOR YOU so that you might be free from the burden and guilt of your sin. He can take away that broken heart and replace it with a heart of peace, joy and love. He can erase the pain. Cry out to Jesus.
Instead of writing more on this myself, I wish to finish this article with portions of a letter from an anonymous friend of mine. After reading my article “Abortion is Pagan Worship”, she wrote to me and shared some of her journey with me. I think her words will speak for themselves. She gave me permission to post this, and wants her perspective of this issue to be known.
“…By the time I had my second child at the age of 21 I had already suffered two miscarriages. The first pregnancy was the result of a rape (which was my first intimate experience) when I was 17 years old. I miscarried that baby at 12 weeks. I became pregnant with my son (and apparently his twin which we weren't aware of at the time) at 19 and miscarried his twin at 16 weeks. I then had my son and 17 months later had my second son. I married a man I thought was everything he wasn't. My marriage was horrific and traumatic. My husband cheated constantly, got another woman pregnant and beat me on a regular basis. Once my second son was born he had become my captor and not my partner. I was not allowed to take birth control because he felt that way he could ensure my fidelity. I was also not allowed to say "no". I was raped repeatedly by my own husband whenever and wherever he felt was appropriate-sometimes in front of my babies. It was made abundantly clear to me that leaving was not an option "or else".

My first abortion was when my second child was just an infant. My husband was not willing to wait for me to recover from childbirth and I became pregnant when [boy] was just 2 weeks old. My husband beat me on a regular basis in hopes of causing me to lose the baby. When I didn't he drug me to a clinic in [city] and walked me in to kill our child. I was told during that car ride that if I so much as thought about walking out of the clinic or telling anyone I didn't want to have the abortion I would never see me kids again (he had taken them somewhere to be watched while we were gone and I was unaware of where) or he would beat them to death in front of me. Needless to say I endured the "walk of shame" through the protesters who spit on me, screamed at me, called me a murderer and shoved horrific photos in my face. And I felt I deserved every bit of it. Through the course of the next three years there were three more of these scenarios. Each time the beatings were worse. Each time the threats were more graphic and more vicious. And because I was weak I obeyed. Had I been stronger emotionally, physically and more importantly in my relationship with God I would have known that I could walk away and survive. Had I trusted in Him I would have known that He would keep my children safe and show me the way.

In any case....I have never forgotten what that time in my life was like. I have never forgotten my children or the fact that I was not strong enough to stand up for and speak for them. What I have done is beg for forgiveness for the lives I took. I don't blame my ex-husband because I was accountable. I forgave him. If God is able to forgive me who am I not to forgive my ex? What has been a struggle is forgiving myself…I can say that I believe it is necessary when discussing the magnitude of abortions that are performed to realize that not every woman WANTS to be on that table. And yes-they are ALL sacrifices and more so than naught it is for materialistic reasons or purely selfish ones. I guess after all this time I am still unsure where mine happen to fall in those classifications…

I have never understood how someone can kill another person in the name of Jesus and think it's acceptable. When the clinics are bombed, the doctors are killed or the mothers are harassed it is "all in the name of Jesus" or they are "doing God's work". It infuriates me. You stated it so perfectly when you say that Jesus did it with love and compassion. I have often said that maybe if there had been one person in that line who looked at me with love and compassion and spoke to me of God's love for me and my child things might have ended differently. (By no means does that place blame on the protesters...that is mine alone. )"



3 comments:

  1. At a very dark time in my life, I was apart from God. My husband had refused to give me a child, so I shut my Bible and left him. I found a man who promised he'd give me a child. I became pregnant. The man turned out to be very abusive, shoving me up & down on my face - against his kitchen floor. He threw me down the stairs - pregnant. I was afraid.

    In desperation, I got two phone numbers: of a local Bible-believing church - and an abortion clinic. I first called the church and explained my situation to the pastor. I asked if the church could help me, as I was pregnant and alone and asked if his church offered any programs for single unwed mothers. The Pastor responded, "No, ma'am. Some sins are more public than others. We have no programs for women like you".

    In what seemed like a trance, I dialed the abortion clinic and scheduled and abortion for Dec 24, Christmas Eve. I went through with the abortion, and suffered with months of agony and shame afterwards. If only that Pastor had extended grace and not judgement. If only I had listened to the Holy Spirit and hopped off that abortion table. 1 Corinthians 10:13. God had provided me with a way out, but I didn't see it at the time. I suffered.

    Now, years later, I am reconciled with my husband. I went through therapy and a wonderful program called "Forgiven and Set Free". Isaiah 43:25 changed my life: "I, yes, I alone, am the One who blots out your sins for My own sake, and I will never think of them again." (NLT1). My ovaries failed at 37 years old. Sadly, we have no children except the ones in heaven.

    My heart goes out to women who are pregnant and alone. They need grace and help, not judgment and shame.

    I have never published my story before, but was very moved after reading your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 17 years old when I got pregnant. As much as I do not like it now, abortion was my first thought. I called the abortion clinic and they told me I had to be 12 weeks along before they would give me an abortion. Even while waiting until I was 12 weeks I didn't even think to change my mind.

    I remember when I went to have the abortion. There were picketers out in front of the clinic. They had signs that said "baby killers" on them.I remember wanting to hide as I went into the clinic. When I walked in there was a whole room full of girls. One by one we went in. I remember wanting to change my mind when I was on the table. But the machine had already started. The pain and torment began.

    The pain and torment seemed like it would never go away.


    Years later I am so greatful to say that God sent several wonderful people into my life to help me. They introduced me to Jesus Christ. Now He is my Lord and Savior. I am saved and held by grace everyday of my life.

    The pain and torment has gone away. Only by the grace of God.

    "Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide them. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the Lord."And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone." Psalm 33:5

    So many passages in the word of God were and still are my life line. "If it were not for the word of God, I would have died."

    My heart goes out to all who have had abortions and are hurting so deeply. Alot of times there is so much suffering in silence. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.



    I want to encourage you if you have had an abortion there is HOPE. Whether you were forced to have an abortion or you made the choice on your own,or you have had multiple abortions, there is hope and healing.

    There is nothing in you that can make this pain go away. I do however know who can take this pain and restore your heart.

    His name is JESUS CHRIST. God sent His only Son here to earth to die for your and my sins. Abortion is a sin. But there is HOPE. There is forgiveness. Jesus died on the cross for your sins. If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ He is faithful to forgive you of your sins. It is true. He will forgive you of your sins, any sins, even abortion.Jesus Christ's death covered it all.

    Beloved, seek Him and you will find Him. He is close to the broken hearted. His thoughts of you are more than the grains of sand.

    He brings life from death.

    ReplyDelete